Friday, April 3, 2009

End of the Affair: Quotes

"It was as if quite suddenly after all the promiscuous years I had grown up. My passion for Sarah had killed simple lust forever. Never again would I be able to enjoy a woman without love." (46)

"...the moment of absolute trust and absolute pleasure, the moment when it was impossible to quarrel because it was impossible to think." (55)

"I have never understood why people who can swallow the enormous improbability of a personal God boggle at a personal devil." (59)

"It's a strange thing to discover and to believe that you are loved, when you know that there is nothing in you for anybody but a parent or a God to love." (70)

"I'm tired and I don't want any more pain...I want ordinary corrupt human love." (99)

"...she had fallen asleep against my shoulder...the slowly growing pain in my upper arm where her weight lay was the greatest pleasure I had ever known." (105)

"It was as though by 'dying' she had robbed me of part of myself. I was losing my individuality, the memories dropping off like gangrened limbs." (113)

"For a month or two this year a ghost had pained me with hope...I would die a little more every day, but how I longed to retain it. As long as one suffers one lives." (113)

"I imagined I could smell her scent. I wanted things I should never have again – there was no substitute." (114)

"Grief and disappointment are like hate: they make men ugly with self-pity and bitterness. And how selfish they make us too" (129)

No comments: